What is JOEA?
The Japan Overseas Enterprises Association (JOEA) was established in 1974 by a consensus of major Japanese economic organizations such as KEIDANREN, NIKKEIREN, etc. to disseminate the guidelines mentioned below, among Japanese businesses. The JOEA is a general incorporated association with a membership of approximately 300 leading Japanese companies that have business operations overseas.
- Principle of Guidelines on Corporate Global Conduct
- Japanese overseas direct investment has shown significant growth in recent years and has been contributing to the development of the host countries through employment creation and technology transfer. “Guidelines for Overseas Direct Investment” was published in 1973 by a group of major Japanese economic organizations. This publication was based on the principle that direct investments by Japanese enterprises should be welcomed by the host country, take root there, and cooperate and harmonize with its economic and social policies. The guidelines were reviewed and updated in April 1987 and in July 2014 once again as “Guidelines on Corporate Global Conduct”(hereinafter referred to as the Guidelines) in order to incorporate and reflect the changes in business environment in the host countries as well as in the current global needs and trends. The Guidelines uphold that Japanese enterprises should endeavor to pursue the followings:
- To adhere to the traditional Japanese merchant philosophy
- To put the Guidelines into practice and being accountable for it
- To incorporate the principle of the Guidelines when instituting and/or revising their own specific code of conduct
- To ensure effectiveness of such specific code of conduct by improving internal control systems
- The whole text of the Guidelines is as follows:
- Guidelines on Corporate Global Conduct（Full Text）（PDF：123KB）
JOEA conducts research and study activities with respect to the following themes, and provides its member companies with the results by holding lectures and seminars, and by publishing various reports. JOEA issues a monthly magazin “Gekkan Global Keiei”discussing the hoto topics of the time.
- polotical, economic, and social environment of the host countries
- global mindset for Japanese personnel, especially business expatriates
- issues relating to human resources, such as labor dispute, management of local staff
- behavior as a good corporate citizens
- security of the expatriates and their families
- education issues for the children of expatriates during overseas assignment and after returning home
〈Activites of Planning & Research Department〉
- Policy Proposal to the Government and / or its agencies
To promote overseas activities of Japanese enterprises, employees and their family, JOEA make various Policy Proposals in the view points of improvement of overseas business / life environment.
- Lecture / Seminar / Research meeting
Many captioned meetings being held for the Business Risks in certain countries / area, HR development, Labor issues, Bilateral Social Security Agreements, Business Case Study, and any timely themes.
Japanese Speech Contest
- Over 25 Handbooks for Expatriates on various countries / areas covering many case studies of labor relations and management issues including the survey of labor conditions in the concerned country / area.
- Handbooks on business risks and business environment for the focused countries.(Ex. P.R.China , Vietnam, India etc.)
Co-sponsoring Japanese speech contest at 7 Asian countries, and inviting high score performers to Japan for their speech presentation over 25years.
〈Activities of Overseas Security Information Center〉
- Seminar for the personnel with overseas assignment
It is designed to help the personnel and their families fulfill their responsibilities and lead a healthy and safe life overseas, providing them with suggestions, tips and advices in view of issues arising from different cultures, safety and risk issues, how to maintain good health, etc.
- Curriculum to train safety & risk management personnel
It gives lectures and case studies to the corporate personnel in charge of safety and risk management, helping them gain the capabilities of managing risk control of their corporation. Nature of risk, what is risk management, assessment of risk,
necessity of risk management manuals, training and simulation of risk, organization
of risk management , etc are the examples of the themes in the curriculum.
- Consulting service to member corporations
The professional consultants called “safety and risk management adviser” of JOEA gives consulting services to help the member companies solve their issues.
- Lecture on safety & risk management issues
JOEA holds various lectures relating to safety and risk management issues, to help the member corporations keep operating without big troubles. It invites as a lecturer professionals from universities, ministry of foreign affairs, NPO’s and also private corporations.
- Group studies
There are 4 groups having meetings several times a year, to share their issues, to exchange their view of how to solve the problems, to learn each other what would be the best possible way to protect the employees, and to build up cooperative networking relationship, with which they could ask each other for their advice on future issues.
〈Activites of Public Relations Department〉
- Publication of a monthly magazine “Gekkan Global Keiei”
The magazine is a management information journal for the corporate Executives with a keen interest in the global management issues,and distributed to its member companies, college professors, scholars, researchers, etc. Published 10 times a year.
- Information through the website
JOEA offers the latest information on its website.
- Schedules of seminars/lectures JOEA organize are listed, and application for their participation can be made.
- Application for purchase of the JOEA publication can be made.
- The latest travel advice issued by each government of Japan, U.S.A., Canada, U.K. and Australia is updated daily.
- Mr. ITOH, Ichiro
- Chairman & Representative Director, ASAHI KASEI CORPORATION
- Mr. SHIGA, Toshiyuki
- Chief Operating Officer, NISSAN MOTOR CO.,LTD.
- Senior Executive Director
- Mr. HATANAKA, Tomio
- Executive Director
- Mr. KONDO, Ryu